Last night, I was really inspired to write a post about CM Punk and all the complicated feelings surrounding the idea of quitting something you’ve dedicated virtually your entire life to being good at, and then I realized I’ve been working on my book so diligently that I’m sick of reading my own writing.
You don’t get everything you want in life, so pick one thing and work your ass off for it.
Tweens - “Be Mean”
"Losing to the Dark" is the first mp3 single from La Sera’s upcoming third album Hour of the Dawn, out May 13th, 2014 on CD/LP/digital
I recently found my old “one sentence a day” journal, which was neglected sometime during my ugly spell with depression last year, and I’ve been looking through it with increasing regularity over the past few days, not really knowing what to make of my psyche via these quickly written snapshots. Here are a few for reference:
- 05/01/13: Super-rare steak for lunch like a pair of caged lions.
- 05/04/13: I hope everybody gets drunk and lonely and makes mistakes.
- 05/08/13: I’m a good person I suppose, but I’m a deeply unreliable son.
- 05/10/13: I alternate between feeling guilty for being a shallow aesthete and fully embracing it.
- 05/17/13: A ghost came by my house to deliver my friend’s jacket. The note was for me.
- 05/18/13: Not enough artists have the gumption to be self-indulgent.
- 05/20/13: I’m having fun because I know I’m on borrowed time I’m not expected to pay back. I’m in on the joke.
- 05/21/13: I use this stylish, cool demeanor as a safeguard against this earth-shattering sense of romantic loneliness. I pretend I’m too cool for anyone to have me.
- 05/26/13: When ordering bottomless mimosas, you should never, ever drink just one.
- 05/30/13: Is there any form of punishment worse than black jelly beans?
- 06/04/13: Stoned in the same clothes I wore last night, having an out-of-body experience in the sun.
- 06/14/13: Everybody has a complicated relationship with their family, because family are the only people who really know what you used to be.
- 06/17/13: Street smarts are more beneficial when people don’t think you have them.
- 06/22/13: People always think they were more precocious than they actually were.
- 06/23/13: It’s funny how, when you have a bunch of sexual energy with nowhere to go, it manifests itself in sex dreams about your friends.
She doesn’t strike me as a particularly creative individual and yet here she is lounging in the Creative Room
One of the more unexpected (and really great) developments on Justified lately has been the softening of Wynn Duffy, who debuted as possibly the most frighteningly creeptastic character on the show (at least until Robert Quarels came along). Now, he’s simply a likable career criminal who loves women’s tennis and gets cranky when a shootout threatens his likelihood of getting a timely, nutritious breakfast.
One thing about writing long-form fiction that you have to learn for yourself is in what ways your story gets better as it moves along. That makes me wonder if the first two or three chapters of this book need to be fine-tuned in a way that explains the characters more creatively or if I’m just being hard on myself because the other chapters are so much better.
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. Be careful what you get good at.Rustin Cohle, True Detective, “After You’ve Gone” (Season 1, Episode 7)